Friday 4 September 2015




mbong amata
Actor and producer, Mbong Amata , talks about her career, marriage and decision to become a producer
What new projects are you working on?
That has to be an action thriller with a United Kingdom- based production company. The film will be shot in Europe.
How have you fared as an actress since making your debut?
It’s been a glorious and beautiful ride, it’s been beautiful. A lot of ups and downs but what is life without that?
ADVERTISEMENT
Growing up did you think you were going to become an actress?
I did not. Instead, I dreamt of becoming an ambassador, resolving conflicts and going on a world expedition.
When did you make your acting debut?
I made my acting debut in 2002. It was an epic film, Mutanda, which showcased the cultural heritage of Cross River State.
What was your first time on set like?
It was very interesting because I had always imagined myself in front of the camera. When the opportunity came, I seized the chance and I have not looked back since then.
Did you have a formal training in acting and what is your educational background?
Prior to my acting debut, I didn’t have a formal acting in training. I learned on the job and it came naturally to me. But as an actor, you have to keep fine tuning and reinventing yourself. I have started taking crash courses. I have a degree in History and International Relations from the University of Calabar where I majored in Foreign Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution
You have been in the industry for almost 13 years, why haven’t you featured in a lot of movies?
For starters, I had to take a break to raise a family, which was very important to me and still is.
What kind of roles do you prefer?
When it comes to selecting roles, I pay attention to versatility. Roles that take me out of my comfort zone are usually what I look out for. I am that actress who loves to be submerged in someone else’s life, so it’s safe to say I’m a method actor.
Which has been your favourite character?
That will be Ebiere in Black November. It was such an exhilarating time for me because I was blessed to walk a mile in the shoes of two great Nigerians who I believe are fearless and outspoken -Ken Saro-Wiwa and Ankkio Briggs. Ebiere’s character I believe was a great combination of these two brave souls so you can only imagine how much depth, intensity and bravery Ebiere possessed.
Why did you decide to become a producer and how many films have you produced?
I wanted to step out of the acting circle for a while in order to try out the business/ administrative part of film- making. It’s been a fantastic experience. So far, I have produced two films.
Your movie, Black November, produced in 2012 was only premiered in 2015. Why did it take that long?
It took so long because we were trying to create a masterpiece which we did. When you are working with a budget of over $50m, it’s not something you rush in and rush out of. When you are filming internationally, you have to follow due process.
How do you think the film Black November thematically relates to the real world?
Black November is a simple story based on real life events that occur in the Niger Delta. As simple as the story seemed, capturing it on film was a great challenge and shooting it cost a lot of money. The film portrayed the hardship, air pollution, water pollution and health hazards that the people are exposed to. We wanted to tell a story of the Niger Delta from a very pragmatic point of view.
What themes would you like to explore in future movies?
Throughout the course of my career, I’ve played a lot of roles where I am totally transformed to a complete shadow of myself. Right now, I am switching things up a lot by taking up roles that are more chic and urban with some glamour.
Why did you establish the Tickle-Us Foundation?
I wanted to create a platform through which I can give back to the land where it all began.
Before now you used to feature in only movies produced by your ex-husband, Jeta Amata. In what ways did it aid or slow down your exposure in the film industry?
Contrary to popular belief, I didn’t always feature in only Jeta’s films. I attend open call auditions just like every other actor out there and I have been blessed with the opportunity of working with other directors/producers in the industry. I have worked with the likes of Desmond Elliot, Ikechukwu Onyeka, Lancelot Imasuen, Emem Isong and Moses Inwang to mention but a few.
Do you see the both of you working together on a project in the future?
Maybe, maybe not. We have a great friendship and anything can happen.
How did being married to a filmmaker shape your career?
It did shape my career towards a positive direction because he protected me from a lot of things and also gave me insight into projects to align with.
Is there room for reconciliation?
Like I said, we are cool parents and love our beautiful seven-year-old daughter. We see every other day and it is not a rare sight to see us together.
How have you adjusted to being single again and advances from the opposite sex?
Life goes on after death or marriage. The advances come but that’s not my focus.
Are you still interested in getting married and this time what qualities would you be looking out for in a man?
Marriage isn’t my focus right now. I would rather put all my energy into building my career.
What kind of upbringing did you have?
My childhood was a normal one and I had a basic upbringing. I was brought up to have high morals and strong family values.
What other things keep you busy apart from acting?
My daughter and I am pursuing another degree in the US. I also run a side business.
What is your definition of style and how do you like to dress?
My definition of style can be described in one word- comfort. I like to be very comfortable in whatever I choose to wear. I make sure I wear the clothes and the clothes don’t wear me. I make clothes look good. I love eccentricity, colours and my outfit has to tell a story.
As an ex-beauty queen, how relevant is good looks to the success of an actor as opposed to talent?
Humans are naturally attracted to good looks but being talented and good looking at the same time is definitely a recipe for groundbreaking success.


NEWS GENESIS (C) 2015 All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Genesis.

0 comments :

Facebook Comment Designed By Excellent Johnson

Post a Comment

Love to hear your opinion!